Monday, March 18, 2019

Craft Room Cleanup - Ribbon Storage

Over the years I've acquired quite a bit of ribbon, lace and other various types of trim. It was stored in several  places around my craft room and since it was out of sight and hard to find, I haven't used it much.  Today, I decided to get it organized in hopes that I might actually use it.  First, I dumped out all seven drawers full into one big box.

Next, I separated out the paper ribbon and put it with my gift wrap. After that, I separated all the spools and put them together.  That left me with all of  the loose ribbon and there was a lot of it.  So, I headed down to my computer and made some ribbon cards that I cut from cereal boxes.  I added little slits between each of the notches to tuck the ends into so the ends would stay put.

For the really wide ribbon, I used heavier cardboard and hand cut them to the length of my drawers. The drawers I'm using have dividers in them, so they're perfect for this method. Putting the ribbon on cards takes a lot less room than spools, but it's not quite as easy to unroll.  I seldom use more than a couple feet, so that's not a problem for me.  Here's my first drawer.  The last row holds a ribbon dispenser I bought several years ago.  I decided to leave those ribbons alone.

The bottom drawer also holds my twine as well as some other types of trim.


I also had quite a bit of trim that was too short to wrap on a card, but not quite short enough to throw away.  For those, I tied a whole bunch of loops in a piece of twine and attached the trim to the loops using a half-hitch so they will stay attached but remain easy to remove.  I hung the twine on the wall next to my workstation so the ribbons are out on display as a reminder to use them. Time will tell if this experiment works!


How about you? Do you have a ribbon storage solution that works well for  you?

No comments:

Post a Comment