Thursday, April 17, 2008

Junk Mail

I am taking a class on Sustainability this quarter.  So far it has been both fascinating and frustrating.  Fascinating because of the innovation that has come from the Sustainability Movement, and frustrating because the prevalent view of several of my classmates seems to be that sustainability has everything to do with the environment and nothing to do with the economy or the quality of life. Nothing could be further from the truth. (For more information see: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/104)

Now, you are probably asking, "What is sustainability and what does it have to do with crafts?"

To put it in a very, very simple form, sustainability is insuring that we, as well as future generations can continue to exist while preserving the environment, our economy and our quality of life. The mantra, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!" is a just tiny piece of it, and that's where my craft for today fits in.

For at least the first few sessions of this class, we have decided to put our names on name cards so we can get to know each other.  I thought it would be fun to make mine from junk mail.  Here is the result:

004 

The background is made from an envelope.  The border and letters are made from the inside of a security envelope.  I used my Coluzzle Swing Alphabet template to cut out the letters of my name. 

The flowers and leaves are punched from the glossy paper used for advertising flyers. To give the leaves and flowers dimension, I shaped them using an embossing tool.

 006

Glossy ad paper is perfect for punch flowers because it holds its shape well, and the vibrant colors really pop.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow, Judy, I LOVE your recycling - fab!! Great blog and thanks for the patterns. I want to try the gift bag thing.
    Blessings
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete