Monday, September 6, 2021

Scrap Pile Challenge: Of Scraps, Fairies and Vellum

 A couple weeks ago, when I was looking for something in my craft closet, I came across a box of coordinated scraps that I had set aside for who-knows-what.  Rather than toss them or add them to my growing stash of "I'll use this someday" scraps, I decided to set a little challenge for myself:

The rules:

  • The card base is the only "new" cardstock I can cut into. Everything else has to come from existing scraps.
  • Use images I've already stamped and colored.
  • If I use printed images, they have to come from what I already own (I'm a bit of an addict)
  • All the patterned paper must come from the box.
Here's what I started with:



So far, I've made 14 cards and I still have enough scraps for more.  For the first five cards I chose images from the Fairy Days digital stamp set from RG Studio 360.

Aren't they adorable?



The background was a little overpowering so I cut some pierced ovals from vellum and hand stitched them over the patterned paper.  This softened the background and highlighted the fairies.


I used up a couple of the large labels on the next two cards as well as a strip of flocked pink paper.


Butterfly dazzles add a little sparkle.

A ladybug at the bottom left balances out the red of the apple and the fairy's shirt on the upper right.

I added a lace border and dragonfly dazzles to the final card

I had a lot of fun with this challenge.  Being restricted to a small set of papers helped me focus more on the creative process since my color pallet was already decided for me.

I will be sharing the rest of the cards I made in another post.  In the meantime, Take a look at your pile of scraps. What can you make with what you already have?

No comments:

Post a Comment