Thursday, February 12, 2009

Iris Fold Fan

I came up with the idea for this card Tuesday while I was at work. That seems to happen to me a lot.  I come up with designs when I am away from my craft room and then when I arrive home, I have forgotten all about it.  Tuesdays are especially problematic because I go straight to night school after work.  After class is over I have to pick my youngest son up from high school because he is in the pep band and Tuesdays are game nights.  As a result, I didn't get home until after 9:00 p.m. and by then I was just dying to get my design down on paper before I forgot about it.

I created a pattern in SmartDraw, rummaged through my paper supply (which took a considerable amount of time) and got to work.  Here is the result.

BdayFan20090210

The fan went together really fast.  I used the repeating pattern in some gift wrap for the iris folding.  The edging along the top and bottom of the fan is made from the edge of a paper doily.  The fan slats are cut from tan parchment card stock.  I think next time I will use some distress ink on them.  The flowers and leaves are made with paper punches.

You can find the pattern for the fan on my web site at: http://www.handcraftedgreetings.com/irisfoldinst.html

I will probably be making another one of these soon. I have all the paper picked out, it's just a matter of finding time. Lately my evenings and weekends have been extremely busy.

3 comments:

  1. OMG Judy, this is GORGEOUS!! I am off to C&C to get that template!! Thanks o much for sharing...I see this a one of my Mother's Day cards for one of my Grandmas!!

    Happy Valentine's Day Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning -- thanks so much for sharing. I have been searching for other iris "fans" -- come see my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the Iris Hexagon on your site. I made one to share with a card group I belong to. I placed the finished card on my blog...if you'd like to have a look. I think this fan might also be in my card future. Again, thank you! http://glittergrammy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete