Thursday, January 3, 2008

Get Well Book

My sister-in-law had surgery recently, and a get well card just didn't seem like enough so I made a book.

For the cover construction, I followed the instructions at CraftTVWeekly (more or less). You can view the instructions here:

http://sbl.tvweekly.com/player.php?43030134c9d51a817d55521d538909d5y1268

Here is my cover:

getwell001

For the cover title, I found an adorable font at PCCrafter called Patient ID that looks like a hospital ID bracelet. It is available for purchase here:

http://www.pccrafter.com/shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?id=423&s=1

Since I wanted to include a wheel and sliders on two of the pages, I needed a way to hide the back side of the pages. I also needed the pages to be fairly stiff. To solve this, I used three 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" card blanks for the pages and covered them with scrapbook paper as follows so that they formed an accordion fold.

image

After completing the pages I used the page stitching method in the Book Making video from CraftTvWeekly to stitch the valley folds of the pages together.

In all, I made eight pages for the book. I have removed most of the actual verses from the scans since they are not mine and I do not have permission to post them here. You can find numerous quotes and sentiments on the web. Scrapbook.com and versalog.com are two very good places to find verses.

getwell002

getwell003

getwell004

getwell005

This was a really fun project. Since this was my first attempt at a book, it did take quite a while to finish it. Hopefully next time it will go much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment