Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Peppermint Mocha

A couple years ago I passed the 10-year mark at my place of employment and as a reward, I received a Krups espresso/cappuccino maker.  Last year, at his company Christmas party, my husband won a really nice Cuisinart burr grinder, so now we have all we need for making a pretty decent cup of coffee.  I have yet to make a cappuccino to rival those I was served when in Holland, but I can make a pretty decent mocha.

Last week, my hubby picked up some Millstone peppermint flavored coffee beans for me and some Java Delight Sumatran coffee beans for himself.  I’m not a huge fan of Sumatran, because it has a tendency to be a bit too strong and bitter for my tastes.  Well, last Saturday I was getting ready to fix myself a peppermint mocha and hubby had ground a little too much of his Sumatran so there was still some in the hopper, Rather than try to clean it all out, I just added the Millstone beans and ended up with a mixture of about half and half peppermint and Sumatran coffee.  It made some of the best peppermint mocha yet!  The Millstone coffee by itself was a bit too mild so the Sumatran added just the right amount of punch.  Yummy!  Here’s my Recipe:

  • 1 Tbsp finely ground Java Delight Sumatran coffee
  • 1 Tbsp finely ground Millstone Peppermint coffee
  • 2 Tbsp Swiss Miss instant cocoa
  • 1 rounded tsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup (or slightly less) low-fat or skim milk

Make the coffee according to your coffee maker / espresso machine instructions (mine takes 2 Tbsp of ground coffee for one cup).  Mix the milk and sugar in the steamer cup for your espresso maker* and steam it until it is frothy.   Mix the brewed coffee and instant cocoa in your coffee cup, then add the steamed milk.

Now, enjoy your peppermint mocha while making cards. :)

*If you don’t have an espresso maker, I have heard that you can heat the milk/sugar mixture and then put it in your blender on high and blend it until it’s frothy.

No comments:

Post a Comment