Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ice Cream

It is HOT here and there is nothing quite like ice cream for cooling down, but if you're trying to watch your weight like I am, ice water would be a much healthier choice.  With that in mind, here is a guilt-free triple-scoop cone just for you!

icecream20080713

This card is a combination of techniques.  The background behind the ice cream cone is iris folding and the ice cream cone itself is paper piecing.  The corners and the border between the upper and lower sections were made with decorative scissors.

The ice cream cone is base on clip art from PCCrafter's Summertime collection.  I printed out the line art, then used my light box to trace it onto different colored pieces of scrapbook paper.  Paper piecing is a really good way to use up small scraps.

I cut the diamond shaped aperture for the iris folding with my Coluzzle nested diamond template.  Here's the pattern for the iris folding:

irisfolddiamond

I had initially planned to include the writing around the outside of the iris folding, but I didn't think it would work well for this card.

The corners were made with paper that is green on one side and blue on the other.  I cut the paper into four one inch squares and then used my decorative scissors to cut the squares in half diagonally like this:

001

I flipped the lower-right half over (the paper used in this example was blue/brown instead of blue/green).

005

Then I layered the brown paper on top of the blue paper like this:

004

Here's the card I used the brown/blue corners on:

icecream20080712

Now, go make an ice cream cone for a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment